From Canal Flats to Spillimacheen including the First Nations communities of Shuswap and Akisknuk, the beautiful Columbia Valley lies within “The Valley of a Thousand Peaks”, located between the Rocky Mountains and the Purcell Mountain Range in British Columbia’s Kootenay-Rockies region. The region is home to several diverse communities, including the municipalities District of Invermere, Village of Radium Hot Springs and Village of Canal Flats; the Akisqnuk and Shuswap First Nation communities; and unincorporated communities within the regional district Areas F&G (Spillimacheen, Brisco, Wilmer, Panorama Mountain Village, Fairmont Hot Springs, Windermere and Edgewater).
The natural beauty and resources in the Columbia Valley’s landscape are assets that provide for vibrant tourism and natural resources sectors, and growing sectors in value-added manufacturing, agriculture and food processing, professional services, construction and retail. A mild climate, plentiful recreation activities and family-friendly communities make it the ultimate place to call home.
- Development opportunities abound with commercially-zoned land available now:
- Main street property in Radium Hot Springs
- Commercially-zoned opportunities in Invermere and Canal Flats
- High traffic commercial corridor at crossroads area of Highway 93/95 and Athalmer Road
- Market access:
- Locally, over 9,000 permanent and 20,000 seasonal residents
- Immediate access to Alberta market with close proximity (3-hours driving ; 276 km) to Calgary
- U.S. border within a 2.5 hour drive (215 km)
- Canadian Rockies International Airport within 1.5 hour drive (140 km)
- Accessible telecommunications to every home and business
- Diverse & affordable real estate opportunities
- Professional services sector ready to support local businesses
- Growth sectors include tourism, value-added manufacturing, agriculture and food processing, professional services, construction and retail:
- Two year-round ski/golf resorts, Panorama Mountain Village and Fairmont Hot Springs Resort anchor a growing tourism market seeking diverse product opportunities.
- Vibrant retail sector with a mix of well-supported locally-owned independent business and several franchise/national retail chains.
- Demonstrated success in value-added manufacturing within the wood products, construction and food sectors.
- Natural and recreational attractions including Kootenay National Park, Lakes Windermere and Columbia, the Purcell and Rocky Mountain ranges, the mighty Columbia River, and the largest continuous wetlands in North America.
- Unlimited year-round outdoor recreation including Nordic and downhill skiing, hiking, biking, kayaking, canoeing, hunting, fishing, wildlife viewing, mountaineering, white-water rafting, snowmobiling, and bird watching:
- Location of the Lake Windermere Whiteway – a 35 km groomed track that is a paradise for skaters and skiers and creates a recreation area used by anglers, curling bonspiels, hockey tournaments and more.
- Championship golfing with 15 courses located within the region.
- Safe, family-friendly communities bustling with activities and educational opportunities:
- Organized sports and arts programs include freestyle, downhill and Nordic skiing; hockey; gymnastics; dance; martial arts; music and more.
- Cultural activities such as festivals, films, live music and visual arts.
- Post-secondary education available through College of the Rockies; excellent pre-schools and public schools serve all communities.
- Accessible health care with Invermere & District Hospital serving the Columbia Valley and family doctors available for new residents.
- Mild climate with winter temperatures typically ranging from 00C to -50C; warm summers and long shoulder seasons – golf, hike and bike March through October.
Columbia Valley Chamber of Commerce
Pete Bourke, Executive Director
651 Hwy 93/95 PO Box 1019
Invermere, BC V0A 1K0
- Regional District of East Kootenay, Area G – Director Gerry Wilkie
- Village of Radium Hot Springs – Mayor Clara Reinhardt
- District of Invermere – Mayor Al Miller
- Regional District of East Kootenay, Area F – Director Susan Clovechok
- Village of Canal Flats – Mayor Karl Sterzer
- Provincially the Columbia Valley is represented by MLA Doug Clovechok, BC Liberals
- Federal representation is provided by MP Wayne Stetski, NDP