Thinking of selling your business?
You’re not alone. 41% of Canadian entrepreneurs intend to sell their business over the next five years. 52% of sellers expect to sell their business outside of their family.
While you make the decision if now is the time to sell, it is helpful to ask yourself some important questions. Be honest and thorough with your answers. Answering these questions may help you determine your path to a sale.
- What are your reasons for selling the business?
- What do you have to get out of the sale to meet your needs?
- Is the business ready for sale?
- Are all the business operations well documented and ready for the buyer to take over?
- What is included or excluded from the sale?
- Do you have a plan to transfer the business?
- Will you work with the new owner during the transition to train them?
If you have made the decision to sell your business, these are the next steps for listing your business.
Imagine Kootenay connects buyers with sellers. Buyers come from all over the country and may not have local knowledge about the business community in the Kootenays. Keep that perspective in mind while you are preparing your listing.
Our listing service is free and easy to use!
- Register as an opportunity holder
- Fill in the required information
Tips for crafting a good listing:
- Be specific, be clear and keep it simple.
- Tell the story of your business concisely.
- The more accurate and descriptive your listing is, the better chance you will have of attracting the right person to your listing.
- Check your facts and your website links.
- Include pictures that showcase your business. Pictures also help tell the story.
- List the most appropriate contact information that will get to you directly.
Once you have submitted the listing for your business, please allow up to 72 hours for your listing to appear on the website, especially if you are posting on a weekend.
We hope you find a successful match for your business through Imagine Kootenay.
We are proud to offer this service to you free of charge, and we ask that you let us know how our website helped you if your business sells. This helps to ensure that the program continues to run with the help of our partners.
Still have questions? Here are some resources that can help you through the process of selling your business.
- BDC – Business Development Bank of Canada – determining the value of a business can be a complicated exercise, with different methods and end results. BDC offers a free guide designed to help you navigate the valuation process so you can negotiate a fair price when buying or selling a business. Get yours here.
Free Business Advisement
Basin Business Advisors provides free, one-to-one, confidential business advisement and assessment services to commercialized businesses assisting in creating and sustaining jobs and/or bringing wealth into the Columbia Basin region.